Monday, June 14, 2010

Lisa (& Grayson) and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

To preface this post, I'm not writing this to elicit sympathy at all.  I'm merely writing it down so that when I have a bad day in the future, I can look back at this day and realize whatever it is, it isn't this bad!!!  And, if you are thinking about having a baby, skip this post--because if you are, you will think twice after this!!!!

Yesterday was wonderful--we went to church, came home, had a good lunch and then Tim Woodbridge and Brandon went to see a movie.  Julie (his wife) and I just hung out here and played with Grayson.  He was pretty cranky still from his teething, but thankfully, he fell asleep about 20 minutes after she got here and slept until about 20 minutes before the boys came home.  We all had dinner together and it was a wonderful evening.

Then, the night came.  Grayson was up again by 1:30 a.m. and kept me up until about 3:30 a.m.  I noticed he was sounding congested and had a bit of a runny nose, but I figured it was just from his teething, so I gave him some Benadryl and finally put him back to bed.  Then just as I drifted off to sleep, I woke up when Brandon got up for work.  (as an aside, I will be SOOO happy when we are in the new house and he can shower downstairs!!!).  At 8 a.m., I was again awoken by a screaming baby.  I went in to get him and lo and behold he had his leg stuck between 2 slats in the crib and it was stuck--firmly!!!!!  He had pushed down the mesh bumper (the one that's 'supposed' to be the safest), put his foot through and then turned over onto his belly.  After some tugging, I finally got it dislodged and he was crying, coughing, sneezing, snotty and to top it all of WET.  I imagine him nursing for basically 2 hours during the middle of the night just overflowed his diaper.

So, I pick him up and hastily head for downstairs so I can change him and clean him up.  Mind you, I've fallen down our awful apartment stairs before, so I am being as careful as a Mama can be with a screaming, thrashing baby....  and I fall down the darn things with him AGAIN!!!!!!  What an awful Mom I feel like.  He bumped his head on the stairs (not hard, but still) and we went down about 8 stairs this time jarring the heck out of both of us.  I'm imagining him feeling like a shaken baby, so I end up putting my right foot through the banister to get us stopped, but not before I twisted my back and my left knee trying to slow us down.  We laid there, both crying for probably about 5 minutes before my legs stopped hurting enough for me to get us the rest of the way down.

We just rocked in the glider for about 20 minutes before attempting anything else.  I got him changed, nursed him until he was calm and then started to give him breakfast.  Still shaking from all of this, I awesomely managed to spill half of his oatmeal everywhere (before it had milk mixed in, so there is flaky/powdery oatmeal in the floor).  At this point, I just sat down in the floor--I'd had enough.  And clearly Grayson had too, since he was still crying in his highchair. 

Thankfully, squishing up the avocado for his cereal made him laugh and I finally got him fed.  I washed out his vaporizer and got it set up and he's now napping peacefully.  Hopefully when he wakes up this time, it will be a brand new start.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa! I'm so sorry your day was horrible. But I'm very glad you're both okay. I hope you're not too sore tomorrow.